Pages

August: American Gold Finch

The American Goldfinch is seen in the San Francisco Bay Area throughout the year and nest between June and August. 

I had to actually create this post because earlier I called it a Warbler and someone had to correct me. These little birds baffle me! Little birds are not easy to identify like the large distinctive birds. 

Today, I found this female sitting in some wild fennel eating the herbal tops of the flowers. 

Facts: 

Their favourite food is thistle seed but they also enjoy seeds from birches, alders, conifers and other trees.  They also eat seeds from goldenrod, asters, burdock, dandelion, chicory as well as garden seeds.  They come to feeders for sunflower seed and Niger seeds (thistle). Berries and insects are also a part of their diet.




No comments: