Pages

August: What I would like to ask a Pelican


One of the most fascinating birds I watch is the Pelican. Both Brown and White Pelicans are special birds. I think some day they are going to find that Pelicans are a very intelligent bird. They have been developing their skills for 

This area I call, "Little bird Island" because a lot of small shorebirds come and sit here. This is in the Mountain View Slough. Today, a few White Pelicans were here. It really is not big enough for them, but they decided to take a break here. I have seen 2-3 when the tide is low, but not this large of a group at high tide. Normally, you'll find them "parked" on the far side, in a large pod, in Adobe Creek. 

I wanted to ask these Pelicans why they suddenly decided to sit here. Were they tired? Usually Pelicans have a strict protocol and most often stay with the larger pod, but some times you do see stragglers here and there doing their own thing. Perhaps these were either older or much younger Pelicans and were going a little slower than the others. I would like to ask most birds why they park with their backs to me!

The one thing I know is that the longer I watch birds the more questions I have and the less I am sure I know.  

Facts: 

Pelicans are known to be most closely related to the shoebill and hamerkop, and are placed in the order PelecaniformesIbisesspoonbills and herons are more distant relatives, and have been classified in the same order. 




With these White Pelicans you can see some Juvenile Terns.


Not quite enough room for their big bodies. 

No comments: